- Baptism symbolizes and demonstrates your foundation of faith.
- Baptism does not make you a believer - it shows that you already believe.
- Baptism does not save you, only your faith in Christ can give you salvation.
- Baptism is like a wedding ring - it is the outward symbol of the commitment you make in your heart.
WHY SHOULD I BE BAPTIZED?
1. To follow the example set by Christ.
"At that time Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized
by John in the Jordan." Mark 1:92. Jesus told us to be baptized.
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father,
and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit..." Matthew 29:19-20
"Peter replied, Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ
for the forgiveness of your sins...Those who accepted his message were baptized,
and about three thousand were added to their number that day," Acts 2:38-413. It is an outward sign, before mankind, of an inward change.
"...having been buried with Him in baptism and raised with Him through your
faith in the power of god, who raised Him from the dead." Colossians 2:12WHAT IS THE MEANING OF BAPTISM?
1. It is an identification with the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
"We were therefore buried with Him through baptism into death in order that,
just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father,
we too may live a new life." Romans 6:42. It is a visual picture of my new life as a Christian.
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone,
the new has come!" 2 Corinthians 5:17WHERE CAN I FIND SCRIPTURE ON BAPTISM OR EXAMPLES IN SCRIPTURES OF BAPTISMS?
- The baptism of Jesus - Matthew 3:13; Luke 3:21; John 1:21
- Jesus commands us to be baptized - Matthew 28:19; Mark 16:16
- The Day of Pentecost - Acts 2:38, 41
- Ethiopian Eunich - Acts 8:38
- In Samaria - Acts 8:12
- Paul (Saul), gets baptized - Acts 9:18
- Lydia - Acts 16:15
- Phillipian Jailer and Family - Acts 16:33
- Corinthians get baptized - Acts 18:8
- Ephesians get baptized - Acts 19:5
WHEN SHOULD I BE BAPTIZED?
As soon as you have believed! Those who accepted his message were
“baptized ...that day." Acts 2:41HOW WILL I BE BAPTIZED?
"Baptize" comes from the Greek word "Baptizo." This Greek word means to dip, to sink, to plunge, immerse, submerge, or to cover wholly, therefore we baptize by total submersion. Baptism is symbolically compared to the burial of Christ, so when you are baptized your whole body is placed under the water just as your whole body would go under the earth when
you are buried, but then, just as Christ rose up from the grave, you are raised up out of the water. This is symbolic of your new life. You will be baptized according to Matthew 28:19, in the "Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit."
I WANT TO BE BAPTIZED, NOW WHAT?
Notify the church either: a) Sign up on a Connect Card at church; or b) Sign up online by clicking on the button below.